Friday, January 3, 2014

Finding Joy

Often times, as Christians, we are told we should have a deep, overwhelming joy in our lives. I used to think of this as a pep in my step, something that made me happier than others, happier in hard times and happier to wake up in the morning. However, my view has been refined by long discussions with my siblings, and here is why:
 It's talks like these, curled up in a fuzzy pottery barn blanket with a pretty glass of red wine in hand,  that seem to "slow down" time, (a phrase coined by my brother-in-law Mike Mckinney) and allows you to ponder things that need to be pondered. Sometimes we run on the adrenaline forced on us by the next project that is due, the next load of laundry that needs to be done, the next grade we need to improve, and even the next fun plan we want to make. Although these things are GOOD, all encompassed, they leave little room for the art of thinking. Yes, I know, the "art of thinking" sounds ridiculous. After all we do think everyday. But when was the last time you really thought about, for example, how absolutely stunning fresh snow is when hit by the morning sun? Now, if you know me, you know, I love sunshine beating on my face and my toes in the sand, mid-summer, on the hottest day of the year. The idea of finding beauty in the cold, freezing-my-fingers-off, running-to-my-car, fearing-for-my-life-driving-to-work, kind of snow, is difficult for me to grasp. However, I noticed the more I stop and actually think about the beauty of the sunshine, the more I realize that the sunshine is a blessing that God has given us. With the blessing of the sunshine, even that freezing snow becomes a blessing.
 My thoughts are rooted in discussions with loved ones, as well as Ann Voskamp's, 1000 Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are. She states, "And when I give thanks for the seemingly microscopic, I make a place for God to grow within me." I was challenged and encouraged by this because sometimes my human mind slips into its sinful thinking that it is most important to know every theological answer, and if I don't, I am lacking in my knowledge of our great God and therefore am missing out. And while I am by no means encouraging you to put down your theology books (theology is vitally important in our lives), I am saying that I was challenged to look at what God has given me apart from books and written theology, and through those "seemingly microscopic" things that we encounter we will see the character of God more clearly. Psalm 23 states " He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake." I know what your thinking- ok, but this is imagery. Exactly. God created us knowing that we would be blessed by, and relate to those tangible things. My dear mother gave me a sweet piece of advice: when you read the Bible, and verses with imagery like this, go to those places. Find a green pasture and still water and bask in the beauty of the Lord, His blessings and abundant mercy and grace. Likewise, do the same when you encounter and look for the sweet blessings that God places in our path which will glorify Him. Ultimately, through his creation and these "seemingly microscopic" things he is revealing his character to us. Everything comes to us because of God's mercy, Romans states, "He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things." These small things in life point our eyes to the characteristics of God and the beauty of Christ and the cross. Christ loves us and pursues us so relentlessly that he died on the cross for our lives. This is why we praise Him.  This is why we have joy.



So what about this blog? I am opening up the doors of my life and showing you the things that I see as my "1000 gifts," the things I am "finding joy" in, and praising God with.  Creativity, glitter, food, health, fashion, and decorations (along with my family and friends- including my adorable niece) are just some of the categories I hope to touch on :) Enjoy! 

p.s. I HIGHLY recommend you go and get yourself a copy of 1000 Gifts (Anne Voskamp).


No comments :

Post a Comment