Friday, January 31, 2014

Oh Boy Part 1

A dear friend of mine just had the sweetest baby boy. We (Kasi and I, Keren) have been working on small touches to add to her nursery. This mama has incredible taste of her own and has been instrumental in the ideas behind it. There will be several posts leading up to a big reveal of her darling nursery. Part 1 is a simple chalkboard. My friend already had a gorgeous frame that she wasn't using so all I had to do was find a backing and paint it. 

For the backing of the frame I bought a large plexi-glass poster frame for $10. This comes with plexi-glass and a board backing. I had my husband cut the board backing and the plexi-glass to the appropriate size using his handy power jigsaw. The board backing is important because without it you won't have any support behind the plexi-glass when you write on it. This is similar to what I bought. 
To go along with the color scheme of the nursery I purchased Martha Stewart's Multi-Surface Chalkboard Acrylic Craft Paint in gray for $5.99


Note: don't use the sponge brush pictured here. It soaks up the paint. Use a normal painter's brush. 

After one coat. 

You need to paint 2-3 coats. Let it dry several hours inbetween each coat. The directions say to let dry 1 hr but I found that the paint will crack if you don't let it dry for several hours inbetween coats. Also, make sure to paint in opposite directions each coat. One coat horizontal, one vertical etc. 

After 3 coats. 

To secure the chalkboard to the frame I nailed small nails into the back of the frame and then bent them in order to keep the frame from moving. 


The final product:

I love the gray! It will look so sweet in his nursery. More to come! 


Xoxo 

Keren 

No comments :

Post a Comment