Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Hot Tata



Last night it snowed between 6 and 10 inches, at least that's what the weatherman told us. Waking up to a bitter 3 degrees and knowing that shoveling snow is on your to-do list makes me want to sink into a case of seasonal affective disorder. I've challenged myself though to find joy even in this frigid January moment. So what's better than a steaming cup of hot chocolate or tea in your favorite mug?
What you will need for the mug:
  • A white mug (I found a box of 4 mugs at Marshalls for $5.00)
  • A gold sharpie paint pen- Medium Point Oil Based, to continue the gold obsession (I got mine at AC Moore, about $2.00) 
  • An oven
These are the mugs I used.  White with a little gold edging at the top.



 Here is the sharpie pen. 



Choose whatever design you would like. I did gold dots on 3 of the mugs and song lyrics I love on the last one. Be creative! (There is an extra mug in the picture that my sister did.) 




Listen up people, this is important. In order to make your mugs last you need to bake them. The one problem with the gold paint is that it is not microwave or dishwasher safe! Starbucks and Target mugs pose the same problem. Sorry! Wait 24 hrs before baking. Start with a cold oven. Put the mugs in. Turn your oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. When the 30 minutes are up turn the oven off and let the mugs cool down to room temperature in the oven. 


What you will need for the tea, formally known as a Hot Toddy, a recipe from my dear friend Amy:
  • 1 oz of Brandy or Whiskey 
  • 1 tbs. of honey
  • 1/4 of a lemon
  • 1 tea bag of your favorite black tea
  • You can also add cloves, cinnamon, apples or oranges. A very yummy addition, I just didn't have any in the house. 

Heat your water. 




 Coat the bottom of your newly made mug with honey. Yum. 


Add lemon juice and then hot water.



 Insert your favorite black tea.



Add your liquor of choice (I used Brandy, one or two cap-fuls depending on your day).





Enjoy!






No comments :

Post a Comment